On 9 Feb the official communication about the “Liège Declaration on Adaptation to Climate Change” was published (PDF here), after the first non-state actor European Summit on Adaptation, organised by Climate Chance and the Belgian Presidency of the Council of the European Union 2024 / Walloon Region Ministers of Climate and Environment in Liège, Belgium/ Wallonia.
The event involved nearly 1.000 participants from more than 20 countries. Nina Klein represented ECOLISE, who were a co-organiser and a member of the steering group, as well as supporting the coining of the declaration. ECOLISE is now reaching out to its members and partners on the #10Theses to read and sign the declaration:
- Read the The Liège Declaration (PDF) https://scce24wallonie.eu/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/ENG_LIEGE-DECLARATION_FINAL.pdf
- SIGN THE DECLERATION HERE: http://tinyurl.com/ydukx8v7
The Liège Declaration was adopted by more than 75 non-state organisations and their networks. They collectively agree to:
Call on all political levels as well as the non-state actors to make adaptation a key priority in policy-making, to integrate a culture of prevention and resilience at all levels of governance and to produce climate and environmental risk assessments to inform and strengthen future adaptation plans.
Media posts about the declaration:
- Climate Chance: Press release published at the end of the #SCCE24WA Summit
- ICLEI signs the Liège Declaration – The Roadmap for Adaptation to Climate Change
- EURACTIV: NGOs, local governments sign declaration calling on EU to up climate adaptation efforts